The Goethe University Frankfurt offers a multitude of disciplines and emphasizes the combination of research and
teaching. At the Faculty for Social Sciences, Institute of Political Science, Chair of Political Science and Qualitative
Empirical Methods in Social Sciences (Prof. Dr. Claudius Wagemann) of Goethe University Frankfurt, a position
will be filled, starting 01/10/2019,
Research fellow (m/f/d)
(E 13 TV-G-U), 100%
for up to three years (until 30/09/2022). Contract renewal is possible under the legal requirements of
Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (The Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract) and is aimed at.
The candidate is expected to conduct independent teaching for up to 4 teaching hours
(Lehrveranstaltungstunden/LVS) in the field of qualitative empirical methods in social sciences in the bachelor’s and
master’s degree courses of the faculty. Participation in a third-party-funded project allows to reduce the amount of
teaching hours to 3 LVS at least until 31/03/2021. The possibility to conduct own research is guaranteed.
• The candidate centers his/her teaching within the thematic framework of the chair. He/she also collaborates in
the development of teaching concepts for the chair;
• The candidate’s personal research should contribute to the established methodological and substantial
background of the chair. The core themes of the chair’s work in the field of methodology are nested in qualitative
comparative research designs (such as process tracing, comparisons with small number of cases, concept
formation, qualitative comparative analysis (QCA)), and in the quality and the development of the application
of methods in international political science. The core substantial themes are comparative politics and policy
analysis (e.g., including topics such as populism, political parties, interest groups, country images, the
relationship between Germany and Italy, the relationship between Germany and South Europe, governance);
Until 31.03.2021 the candidate contributes to the methodological components of the research project funded
by the German Research Foundation (DFG) “Variations of governance in hybrid regimes. Business, state, and
civil society in Russia“), which comprises 25% of the full time position;
• Collaboration in the internationalisation efforts of the chair is desired;
• The candidate is interested to develop a scientific profile, connected to the chair’s activities;
• The candidate participates in the administrative activities of the faculty, the institute and the chair.
• Unconditional requirement for the position is a profound and documented expertise and interest in the
qualitative empirical social science methods;
• A further requirement is teaching experience at university level, preferably in method-related courses;
• Furthermore, a completed or near-completed doctorate in social sciences is expected, preferably in political
• However, the applications of outstandingly qualified candidates will be considered even without a doctorate;
• Expertise in Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) or other qualitative comparative case analyses (e.g.,
process tracing, comparative case studies) is highly desired. Alternatively, or additionally, experience in
qualitative text analysis, quantitative methods in general or in the use of R software is of benefit;
• A subject-specific placement of the candidate’s research and interests within the realm of comparative politics
or policy analysis is also desired;
• Internationally and nationally visible publications of the candidate are of benefit;
• Further international qualifications and experiences are of benefit;
• Very good English language proficiency is required.
We offer you:
• a highly adjustable and independent working style;
• an appreciative work environment in an innovative, cooperative and efficient team;
• flexible and family-friendly worktime regulations;
• diverse possibilities for professional development;
• a free Landesticket (Hesse State Ticket) for the year 2019, which allows a free use of public transportation in
the entire federal state of Hesse.
Goethe University supports equal rights for women and strongly encourages all female candidates to apply.
Applications from severely disabled candidates given similar qualification will have priority.
Please submit your written application under the index number 15/2019 till 10/06/2019 per email to the Dean of the
Faculty, Prof. Dr. Heike Holbig, email@example.com.
Applications from postdoctoral candidates must contain a 1- to 2-page research plan for the next three years;
applicants without doctorate, who can apply if having an outstanding qualification, alternatively submit a 4- to 5-
page expose of their dissertation.
Please direct further questions to Prof. Dr. Claudius Wagemann (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note that this is an unauthorized translation of the original German text of the call. Only the German version
is legally binding.