Salary: scholarship of approx 16.000 euro per year, renewable up to a maximum of three years.
The Network for the Advancement of Social and Political Sciences (NASP) is pleased to announce that its Ph.D. Programme in Political Studies (POLS) calls for application for 10 PhD positions covered by scholarships (duration: 3 years).
Full information on application is provided by the Call for Application. The application deadline is June 11, 2018.
The Ph.D. programme in Political Studies is administratively based at the University of Milan and is jointly promoted by:
- Department of Political Sciences – DISPO (University of Genoa);
- Department of Social and Political Sciences – SPS (University of Milan);
- Department of Political and Social Sciences (University of Pavia).
The programme aims at training highly skilled professionals who can undertake research within academic institutions, think tanks and research centres, as well as provide consultancy for political, economic, public or private organizations.
The programme offers a two-levels training. First, the acquisition of a common background on the most upto-date knowledge and methods in the field of political science and political philosophy. Second, a personalized training subdivided in four main paths of specialization.
- The path on Institutions and Public Policy focuses on the analysis of contemporary political systems and their related issues, such as the functioning of parliaments, governments, and other political institutions at the national, local and European levels, the definitions of welfare programmes, the evaluation of public policies, the processes of democratization.
- The path on International Studies aims to provide tools to interpret the international dimension of politics and the processes of mutual conditioning between the domestic and external spheres by discussing the main themes of the theory of International Relations, and analyzing the most important sub-regional systems and the main international actors’ foreign policies.
- The path on Public Opinion, Political Communication and Political Behavior delves into the analysis of the electoral processes, of the role the main actors involved play, of their communication strategies with the citizens, and of how the latter build, express and translate into electoral behaviours their attitudes towards politics.
- The path on Political Theory offers an in-depth study of the main paradigms that orient the contemporary debate on political philosophy, normative political theory, and applied ethics, and provides the necessary competences to build political arguments, to evaluate their theoretical and practical implications, and to elaborate conceptual frameworks to treat politically relevant issues.
The programme extends over a three years period.
First year is spent in Italy and is devoted to lecture courses and seminars. Second year is partly spent abroad and is devoted to highly focused courses, to the formulation of a research project and to the thesis initial drafting. Third year is entirely devoted to the thesis. All classes and teaching activities are in English.
Contacts: for more information on POLS Ph.D. Programme and the call for application please visit